Sunday, December 8, 2013

Final Chapters

So I found myself getting very frustrated with Tom in the final few chapters of the book. He knew that Jim was already free but he risked a lot just to have some fun by making Jim his prisoner! And the fact that he is excited when he gets shot in the leg made me so angry! Like at what point will he realize life is not a game and he might die?! Also, was I the only one who went back and re-read chapter 9 to see if Twain gives any small hints that the dead man in the house was Pap? All I found that suggested that the man was Pap, was that there were empty whiskey bottles on the floor. It was odd how Huck was not even upset to find out his father was shot and killed. Even though he was never a very good father to Huck, he was still his dad so you would think Huck would feel a little upset. Instead he just goes on to say "Tom is most well, now".

2 comments:

  1. Madeline, I definitely agree on your frustration with Tom. The fact that Tom knows Jim's a free man and yet doesn't tell Huck, who obviously cares very much for Jim, made me very, very irritated with Tom. Again, like Sophie remarked on below, I think Twain, being a realist, is trying to show the sheer stupidity of romantic ideals. However, I also think that Tom's actions here encompass the whole of Southern society, as he unfairly treats Jim as an object that can be used to perform whatever Tom wants (aka slavery).
    However, if that guy was my father I don't think i would feel that badly if he died, just saying. Plus, he represents the pit of Southern society that Huck has come to detest and move away from.
    Basically, in the ending, I think only Jim comes out looking like a respectable human being, which may or may not be Twain's point at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline and Joe-- I was very, very irritated as well! With this twisted ending, I can only wonder one thing: if Tom didn't come back into the novel, do you think Jim would've become a free man? (We obviously know that he was a free man due to the death and will of Miss Watson, but how would Huck and Jim figure that out without Tom?) Tom continuously played his little games and all I could think was POOR JIM! By allowing Tom into their plan of escape, Huck put Jim in more danger than ever before! However, how did Jim respond? Jim remained reasonably obedient and helped the doctor! Like Joe mentioned, I believe that Jim deserved to be viewed as a respectable human being. As for the ending to the novel, what did you think about Huck and Jim parting ways? I expected a little more feeling/emotion from the two, especially after hearing about how grateful Jim was for Huck's presence and support. Do you think this abrupt departure was part of Twain's ideas? If so, for what reason?

    ReplyDelete