Monday, December 2, 2013

Changes in Huck (24-29)

Hey everybody! So Mrs. Kloser told us to look for changes in Huck in these chapters we had to read over the break. So I noticed that in chapters 24-29, Huck FINALLY listens to his conscience and does the right thing. He says "Well, I says to myself at last, I'm a-going to chance it; I'll up and tell the truth this time, though it does seem most like setting down on a kag of powder and touching it off just to see where you'll go to" (chapter 28). I think part of the reason for this change is that he sees how the duke and the dauphin act and he is sickened by them so he realizes that he does not want to be like that as well. I was wondering if this will continue in the next few chapters and if Huck has completely moved away from lying.

3 comments:

  1. I believe that Huck has changed for the better because he sees how the king and the duke hurt people with their tricks, but I don't think that he has completely stepped away from lying, because he lied to Susan about where Mary was going saying that she was going to visit a friend with the mumps- a new kind, he says. I think that he gets that he shouldn't be like the king and the duke, but as long as it helps himself or others he is going to lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's important to realize that Huck was raised BY this society that is very gullible. The duke and king fool the entire town about being the brothers of Peter Wilks. However, when Huck says, "it was enough to make the body ashamed of the human race," I think that he realizes how terrible the society acts, especially about racism.
    Yadira—It's evident that Huck doesn’t get himself into trouble by continuously lying to make money or receive other unjust/ unnecessary things (like the Duke and King). I agree that Huck will lie to help himself, in addition to lying for Jim (if necessary), but he will not lie without a purpose.

    ReplyDelete