Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on whether there were any changes in the relationship between Huck and Jim in chapters 11-15? Specifically, do you think that they see each other as equals, now that both are relying only on each other to survive and make their escape down the river possible? Do you think that Huck's saving Jim from the people coming to the island to hunt for him, and Huck's taking the lead in deciding how to escape and capture the men on the wreck show that he still sees himself as superior? Do you think that the relationship between Huck and Jim will affect whether they stay permanently together once they escape somewhere safe, or split ways once they reach the free states?

2 comments:

  1. I think that we see a change in the relationship between Huck and Jim in chapters 11-15. I definitely saw a change in Jim's attitude towards Huck. At the end of chapter 11 we see Jim trust Huck and leave, not asking any questions. This shows that Jim trusts and respects Huck even though he is only a boy because he does what he says without further question. I saw this relationship continue in chapter 15 with the situation where Huck tries to trick Jim about his "dream" that Huck was lost. I think that by calling Huck out as a liar, Jim is standing up for himself and sort of showing that he respects Huck enough as a friend to call him out when he is lying. If he treated Huck like he did other white people, he would just ignore it and move on, because he wouldn't want to fight. This idea of trust and honesty between the two makes me think that their relationship will eventually blossom into a friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline-- As much as I would like to disagree due to our previous knowledge of society during this time period, I agree that their relationship will eventually blossom. In the chapters leading up to 15, Huck plays pranks on Jim and develops a comfort level around him. At the end of chapter 15, Huck recalls, [i]t was fifteen minutes before I could work myself up to go and humble myself to a nigger; but I done it, and I warn't ever sorry for it afterwards, neither. I didn't do him no more mean tricks, and I wouldn't done that one if I'd a knowed it would make him feel that way (78). Even though Huck may be expressing racism (due to the society he was raised into), this is significant because he is viewing Jim with respect as an individual, even though it takes a while for him to admit it. Also, Huck and Jim already shared some "friendship moments" when they were talking and looking at the stars (58).

    ReplyDelete